The Marble Church
Also known as Frederik's Church, the Marble Church was designed by the architect Nicolai Eigtved in 1740.
The foundation stone was set by king Frederick V in 1749 but due to a combination of budget cuts and the death of Eigtved, construction stopped in 1770 and the building stood incomplete for nearly 150 years.
The site and the surrounding land were eventually sold to Carl Frederik Teitgen on the condition that the church was completed in the original style.
The original plan was to build most of the church with marble but due to the financial cost, this was changed to limestone. However, it is still called 'The Marble Church' and has the largest church dome in Scandinavia, with a span of 101ft (31m).
The Marble Church was finally opened to the public in 1894.